Tuesday, October 31, 2006

First leg

This'll get posted (backdated) whenever I'm next near an internet connection I can use (there's a port at the desk in my hotel room here but I sensibly left the PowerBook at home.) I've arrived in Singapore after the first leg of my big adventure (the ankle of which began about 22 hours ago if my time-zone maths is right, with a bus ride from Haymarket station to Edinburgh airport) LHR to SIN took a swift 12 hours, but when you add in the flight from Edinburgh down and all the assorted waiting, travelling between and around airports, it all adds up.

Happily I don't mind that stuff: Air travel is still very much a source of childlike wonder for me, even the bits involving bus rides between terminals, or squeaky travelators. I spent pretty much the whole time I was in Heathrow with a loopy grin on my face in spite of having to wait several hours between flights - that didn't matter I was on an adventure!

It'll be interesting to see if that holds for the whole trip, but so far Quantas are doing a good job of keeping me smiling, I'm surrounded on the desk by all the presents and toys they gave me (daft stuff like a little fuzzy pair of socks, and a clever travel toothbrush, but they make me happy - yay for proper airlines!)

Meanwhile I'm safely at my hotel here and not too jetlagged to enjoy the view from my room* I suspect however that an early night is in order** so I'll leave exploring until the morning.

*I took a photo but can't upload it here, will hopefully fare better at Aussie net cafes

**it was, I slept well but not too long and woke in the morning feeling bright and alert. I've been up and doing since 7:30am (it's actually just after noon on the 1st as I type) with plenty of time and energy to make the most of my only full day exploring Singapore, I'm halfway through it now and on my way back to the hotel for a shower and some air-con because it's VERY hot and sticky here!

No comments: