Tuesday, October 24, 2006

(almost) ready for take off

So with only a few days left before I set off on my adventures I'm pretty much all sorted. The important stuff is all done, I have a shiny new passport and an ethereal electronic visa for entry to Australia, all my travel documents have arrived and I've got somewhere to live when I get to Perth that should be comfy and quiet and which isn't costing me a fortune. The wonder that is the internet has allowed me to start making friends in Sydney and Perth even before I've left which has been a huge help too.

I've a few loose ends to tidy up though. The nice people at the Nationwide still haven't sent me an important piece of plastic for example, but I'll chase that up tomorrow and if it doesn't arrive before I leave I've made arrangements today that will mean I can have it safely posted to myself down under.

Frank is still awaiting a new owner, I've had some genuine interest but so far nothing that's materialised into a sale. Happily that too I've made arrangements for handling if I have to leave before it's sorted (which is looking very likely).

I still need to actually pack, and get a haircut and do a few other odds and ends jobs before I go but everything's going pretty smoothly so far. A trivial but very pleasing part of my preparations was the arrival of this little wonder, it's deeply cool I think, little power reservoir that was produced carbon neutrally and can be hooked into any mains outlet (comes with the best modular mains adaptor I've ever seen) but also unfolds into a little solar charger so wherever I am, so long as there's sunshine* I can get power. I'm only taking two gadgets but it's good to know that I'm not going to be stuck for power with either of them.

*probably not in short supply down under

2 comments:

Chris said...

That's all very well, but have you packed a clean handkerchief? :)

Pat S said...

Bon voyage, vol, bonne aventure, whatever -- hope you have a good everything, Patrick!