Wednesday, February 04, 2004

digital d'oh!

Yesterday I did a monumentally stupid thing. It started out as a pretty good day, I got up early (which is becoming a moderately regular occurence!) made coffee, had a shower and even got a load of washing into the machine all before it was time to leave for work - I made it out to the car early and was just doing my 'pre-flight' checks when I realised I didn't have my mobile, and at about that point I had the first inkling of what I'd done.

For a few secoinds I raced around the house looking in all the places I sometimes leave Lumie*, all the time hearing the washing machine happily churning away upstairs and feeling a rising sense of dread... yes folks I put my mobile phone through the wash. I hauled it out of course (it was in the pocket of my dressing gown) and left it drying out as I dashed off (not as early as intended, and thoroughly hacked off) to work.

by late last night it was mostly dry and I managed to get it to boot up a couple of times, though I think it's still a little waterlogged as the keypad was a tad erratic and after a time it just shut itself down again - also there's a wierd blotchy effect happening on the screen which suggests there's maybe washing liquid residue gumming up the backlight.

Hopefully the lovely people at Carphone Warehouse will be able to repair it without it costing me a fortune - the warranty is pretty explicit about not covering accidental dammage or problems caused by water... meanwhile my very lovely housemate has loaned me her old handset so I'm not totally cut off from the rest of the world.

Note to self: in future wake up before using the washing machine.

*yes I know I name inaimate objects and some of you are thinking that's a deeply sad thing to do, but personally I just think it's evidence of a good perspective on the world so there.

No comments: