Saturday, September 27, 2003

happy

I had such a good night last night. After work a bunch of us (new friends and old friends) met up at this new Tapas place that Anita spotted during the week...

Ever since I left Aberdeen I've been trying to find a regular haunt to replace the excellent 'Estaminet' I and my Aberdeen crowd used to meet at in fourth year, and until last night I've been repeatedly amazed and dismayed that a city three times the size has nothing to compare. This place (which I won't tell you too much about because it's very small and I want to be able to get a table again next week!) was pretty much perfect: it's tiny and cave-like but in a really comfy way and the food is both superb and cheap! seven of us ate our fill of fine Tapas for the princely sum of a fiver a head (including corkage, a generous tip and several drinks) and all in this unhurried comfortable little den: The perfect place for shrugging off the week, and (on this occasion) getting to know some new faces.

After dinner we shifted location for the combined reasons that a) this little place only has a BYOB licence and we'd exhausted the wine as well as b) their having run out of regular Coke. A limited remaining range of sft drinks was facing Liz with the unbearable choice between caffiene or sugar ("it's like choosing between children!")

I don't think I'd previously been to any of the places we visited after dinner, but all of them were great, especially the labrythine pub/clublet whose name I forget but which had a kind of secret corridor off the main lounge leading to all manner of hidden gems including a dancefloor, an utterly deserted underground room decorated in flourescent stoner cave paintings, and a tiny cinema showwing 'Fight Club'...

What really made the night however was the company: new faces and familiar friends orbited around each other in a patchwork of intersecting conversations all night, we talked about everything and nothing, and I can't wait to do it again next week.

No comments: