Wednesday, September 24, 2003

"haircut, haircu-ut!"

yesterday I had my noggin shawn: it needs that fairly frequently if I am to avoid resembling an upturned broom. Since I moved to Edinburgh (and still now, even though now I only work here) I've been getting my trims at the same place: like most men I know I am a creature of habit when it comes to my hair, and I distrust all hairdressers and barbers except my own... I don't know what exactly it is about all the others that is wrong but I'm confident that I don't want to risk finding out.

anyway yesterday was the first time ever (well OK, in a little over three years) that I arrived there to find the place empty of customers! it's a first come first served kinda place, no appointments or anything, and since I have to go after work it's usually heaving (by which I mean there are as many as seven other people waiting ahead of me and all three of the hair-cutty people are busy) It even looked for a while during my trim as if "are-you-keeping-your-sideburns?" lady (whose turn it was to cut my hair this time) was going to finish up without asking me as she always does (with a subtle inflection which turns a simple question into a fashion judgement) ... (and yes I always do keep them: I like them, and two of the three hair-cutty people there agree with me, so there) I'm not sure but I think if that had happened on top of the emptiness of the place I might have expected the sun to go out. All was well though: she asked me, I answered, and the world continued turning.

funny how you get into a routine isn't it?

No comments: